- Regulated area: 650.000 m²
- 40% of this will be turned into parks, commons (known as «allmenning» in Norwegian) and a 2,8 kilometer long waterfront promenade.
- A total of 825.000 m² surface with approaximately 5000 apartments, business, shopping and culture will be developed. Bjørvika will provide working space for more than 20.000 employees.
- Bjørvika will contain several large cultural institutions. The Opera House opened in 2008. In 2020 the new Munch Museum and new public library will open.
- National road structure with the main Dronning Eufemias gate street in front of Barcode and Kong Håkon Vs gate leading out of Bjørvika towards the south both finished in 2015. The tunnel opened in 2010, and is vital in order to get the 80% traffic away from the roads going through Bjørvika.
Bjørvika has always represented, and continues to represent, an important part of Oslo’s history.
The name ‘Bjørvika’ is derived from Norse, meaning ‘the city bay’ (gammelnorsk Bœjarvík, «Byvika»), as the area is located where Akerselva river and Alna River meets the Fjord. In the late 11th century, Bjørvika was busy with trade and became the seat of the bishop, and by the late 13th century, the area had grown to around three thousand inhabitants. Sadly, plague struck in 1350, halving the population and sending to area into recession, and fires destroyed major parts of the city.
In the early 17th century, with the protection of Akershus Fortress, a new city was established west of Bjørvika, and Bjørvika served as the city’s harbor. Bjørvika started to grow notably in the twentieth century, with industrialization concentrated along the river. The population trebled, and Oslo grew into a dominant economic city with Bjørvika as the country’s most important seaport.
Over time, as the centre of Oslo developed, Bjørvika became a segregated port area, a shipyard and a storage area. Since 2003 this area has been opening up to the people of Oslo.
View from Ekeberg towards Bjørvika in 1887. Foto: Axel Lindahl, © Nasjonalbiblioteket.